Wednesday, December 14, 2011

{Review} The Carnivorous Carnival by Lemony Snicket & A Trip to the Library

I began reading Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events several months ago, before I started consistently writing reviews. So, the first volume I have reviewed is #9, The Carnivorous Carnival. I could conceivably go back and write reviews of the first 8, but I don't feel right doing so since it's been quite some time since I read them. Therefore, as strange as it may seem, I will simply review the final 5 installments. Here is my review of...

carnivorous, indeed
Published by HarperCollins Publishers, 2002
Hardcover, 286 pages
ISBN 0064410129
Genres: adventure, children's fiction, fantasy, humor, mystery, YA

My review: 5/5 stars. I have enjoyed all of the Snicket books, but this one is my favorite thus far. The plot really starts to pick up, questions begin to be answered, and, while all of them are good, this one is less repetitive than certain others (*cough* ...The Miserable Mill... *cough* *cough*). I love the cliff-hanger ending (ha), letting you dive right into the next book with less of a preamble from the author. Don't get me wrong, I love Lemony's cynical and often snarky ramblings, but not necessarily at the beginning of every volume. This was a nice change of pace. Something else I really like is Sunny's character development in this book. She starts developing her own interests and taking a more active, less passive part in the story. I must admit, I was starting to lose interest in this series, but it has certainly been revived by this episode. I can't wait to read #10!"

This evening my husband stayed home with our son, and I headed off to the library. I came home with a pretty good stack and I can't wait to start one all of them. Let's see, I picked up...


I know not all of these books are fresh off the presses (Redwall is 25 years old, for pete's sake). However, I hope that if I'm curious about them someone else will be too. If there is a book in the above list you are particularly interested in, let me know in the comments below and it will be one of the first ones I read. Otherwise, I'm going to simply grab one and start furiously reading. We don't keep things too scientific around here. I'll be back soon and in the meantime, happy reading!
Mary Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!