Monday, September 17, 2012

{Review} The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick
Published by Scholastic, 2007
Hardcover, 534 pages
ISBN 0439813786
Genres: adventure, children's fiction, fantasy, graphic novels, historical fiction, mystery, YA

Synopsis (via Goodreads): ORPHAN, CLOCK KEEPER, AND THIEF, Hugo lives in the walls of a busy Paris train station, where his survival depends on secrets and anonymity. But when his world suddenly interlocks with an eccentric, bookish girl and a bitter old man who runs a toy booth in the station, Hugo's undercover life, and his most precious secret, are put in jeopardy. A cryptic drawing, a treasured notebook, a stolen key, a mechanical man, and a hidden message from Hugo's dead father form the backbone of this intricate, tender, and spellbinding mystery.

 My review: This was a fantastic introduction into the world of the author, Brian Selznick. The Invention of Hugo Cabret is highly imaginative and well executed, with a plethora of haunting illustrations to boot. The characters are very relatable and complex enough to allow the reader to get to know them better and better throughout the story's evolution, and yet simple enough that the story can be enjoyed by children and adults alike. Hugo, the main protagonist, is very likable: intelligent and loyal to the friends he makes as well as to the memory of his father. He is the kind of character who brings out the strongest maternal instincts in me, and I wanted to wrap him up in my arms and bring him home through the whole story. I particularly like Isabelle, the spunky little girl he meets early on in the narrative. She has the makings of a heroine about her and I can't say I would turn down the opportunity to read more of her adventures if the author feels so inclined to write them.

The truly unique feature about this book is, of course, the illustrations, the The Invention of Hugo Cabret being a true traditional prose/graphic novel hybrid. Each element complements the other and enhances the story in a way that would not have been possible otherwise. The fact that Mr. Selznick both wrote the narrative and drew the illustrations himself also adds a new, and wonderful, facet to the story as it is rare, outside of some picture books, for the author to convey to his audience exactly how he has envisioned the characters and their surroundings.

This book looks big at 534 relatively thick pages, but it can be read very quickly because a large proportion of those are illustrations. I would recommend this book to readers of all ages who enjoy adventure stories and graphic novels with a touch of mystery.
Mary Beth

8 comments:

  1. I didn't know this was a book. I took my nephew to see the HUGO movie last year and really enjoyed it. I'll have to keep my eyes open for a copy of this!

    -Ethan
    http://e135-abookaweek.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll really like it, Ethan! Aw, that's awesome! The movie looks really good, but we haven't gotten around to watching it yet. I bet my son would love it, though!

      Delete
  2. Great review! I had seen this one in a book store somewhere and have really been wanting to read it. I shall definitely have to pick this one up soon.

    http://fromthebootheelcottonpatch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is wonderful and something I could see owning and reading time & again. Thank you so much for reading and following!

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed this book as well (http://manoflabook.com/wp/?p=6935), I thought the format, while strange, came together really well. It's a daunting book when you pick it up but can be read in a day or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. I'm really excited about finding the other books he's written because he has such a huge amount of creativity and originality. It will also be interesting to see in future what he else he comes up with, especially after the unconventional TIoHC was such a hit.

      Delete
  4. This is one of my favorite books of the year. The first time I read it, it took me 20 minutes because I rushed through. I started over immediately, and took my time to savor each image. It really was a beautiful book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's amazing!! And I don't blame you; it is fantastic! It is one I wouldn't mind owning in the least, especially since it would be such a great book for a family to read together. Of course, if I bought every book I wanted I'd be in debt up to my eyeballs :D

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!